By Kirsten Boestfleish
If you have ever seen a commercial produced by Wonderful Pistachios, which have featured Stephen Colbert, Miss Piggy, The Harlem Globetrotters, and many others, you may have wondered why you should follow their slogan and get crackin’. Pistachios have definitely risen in popularity and here’s why:
Just 1 ounce of pistachios (about 49 nuts) contains…
· 160 calories
· 6 grams of protein
· 7 grams of monounsaturated and 4 grams of polyunsaturated fats
· Less than 2 grams of saturated fat
· 3 grams of fiber
· No trans fat
· No cholesterol
· Vitamins and minerals such as Vitamin B6, Potassium, Copper, Thiamin, Phosphorus, and Manganese
· 342 grams of lutein and zeaxanthin, antioxidants that support eye health
· Pistachios are considered to be a very heart healthy food due to their mono- and polyunsaturated fat content as well as their low amounts of saturated fats and zero trans fat.
· Pistachios may support the maintenance of healthy blood glucose levels in people with already healthy levels.
· Pistachios are an easy snack to take along with you when you’re on the go!
Things to keep in mind:
· Pistachios are tree nuts so people with nut allergies should still avoid them.
· The best pistachios are the ones with shells that are already cracked open! Pistachios with closed shells have not fully matured yet and could taste bitter.
· Store pistachios in an airtight container to make sure they maintain their crunch.
· Pistachios come seasoned in many different flavors, but remember you can always add your own seasoning or eat them plain! Just remember to not load them up with salt, as many will come salted already.