By Madeline Radigan
Until recently, the only connection people had with avocado was guacamole. Now, however, its benefits and versatility are being advocated everywhere! There is almost nothing you can’t add some avocado to; even puddings are being made with them. And with all the great health benefits, why not add some avocado to your everyday life?
Avocados are high in fat, but here’s the good news: almost all of it is heart-healthy monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fat! These are the fats that need to be embraced into your diet; they help in lowering your LDL cholesterol levels, the “bad” cholesterol. Because of this they help lower your risk for coronary artery disease, development of cardiac problems, and stroke. However, although these are essential fats to consume, they are still fat and need to be taken in moderation as they provide 9 Calories per 1 gram of fat. Those can quickly add up, so just be aware of how much you’re consuming! One whole, medium-sized avocado has 23 grams of total fat, including 15 grams of monounsaturated fat and 3 grams of polyunsaturated fat. (2)
Another benefit of the avocado is that it’s incredibly easy to incorporate into any of your daily meals and snacks! Here are a few suggestions:
- Have sliced avocado on toast for a nutrient-packed breakfast or snack!
- Throw some avocado into your smoothies for an extra boost of nutrition.
- Top any salad with a few avocado slices for a tasty treat!
- Add avocado to your sandwich, wrap, or burger for a new blend of flavors.
The way most people start eating avocados is with guacamole, so here’s a quick and easy recipe you can use to kick-start your own love of avocados!
- 2 Avocados
- 3-4 Tablespoons of your favorite salsa (more can be added if desired!)
- 1 Garlic clove minced
- Salt and pepper as needed
- Slice, peel, and mash the avocados into a medium sized bowl, then stir in the salsa and garlic. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately or chill for later!